Thursday, August 30, 2012

Welcome to Oregon!

I have been waiting to see this sign for most of my life.


When I was a boy of 9 or 10 I read my first full length book and it was about a boy and his family who were on their way to the Oregon Territory. They encountered rivers and mountains, bears and wolves, indians and bad guys. It was quite and adventure and it sparked my interest in Oregon ever since. In spite of this interest I had never set foot in this state until today. This is the last of the 50 states for me to visit. It was a deeply emotional experience it was. I plan to spend the next month or so right here.

Frist stop is the Welcome Center to pick up some maps and a State  Park Guide.
And a free cup of coffee.

Eastern Oregon looks pretty dry and barren

I guess if we need cement then we need to mine mountainsides to get the materials.
Hopefully, we can do it less destructively.

Is this the Road to Nowhere?

The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center near Baker City




Life-like displays of the daily lives of the immigrants.


The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center near Baker City. A fantastic view from the top. 





No comments:

Post a Comment